Friday, October 28, 2011

My Sister is a Bathtub


A few weeks ago my sister was feeling discomfort in her abdomen. She went to the doctor, who ordered a few tests. During the tests, they found fluid in her abdomen and drained it. She and I were talking a day or two after that particular appointment when she said, “Gotta run- I’ve got to drain to my stomach.”
            I’m sorry—what!? At this point I felt it was appropriate to respond with, “Like a bathtub?”
            If you’re reading this you know that the diagnosis from those tests is stomach cancer.  Since receiving the diagnosis the doctors have installed a tube in Melissa’s chest, to be used when administering some of the chemo. They call it a mediport; I call it her faucet. She almost got a shower caddy. They were considering a type of chemo that would have required her to carry an “apparatus” all the time. For the time being, they have opted to go with a pill instead of the apparatus. (The pill will be one of three medications she will be given. The other two will be administered through the faucet.) I have yet to think of an appropriate bathtub metaphor for the pills. Bath salts, perhaps.
            Since the diagnosis, Melissa has received a massive amount of calls, emails, and texts. These are very much appreciated, and she keeps telling me that she wishes she could speak to everyone. Unfortunately—being sick—she just doesn’t have the energy.  She has asked me to create a blog in order to keep everyone updated and in touch. We’ll both be posting here as frequently as we can.
           
            She starts chemotherapy today. The nurse working at her oncologist’s office on Fridays is a member of my parents’ church. We are grateful there will be a friendly face administering my sister’s treatment. I’m sure she’ll be tired tonight, but we’ll try and get an update posted tonight or tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for starting this, and for your humor. A testimony to each of you and your parents. We love you and are fighting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love the Cheliras family and are praying for all. We understand, we've been there with one of our children, and so are especially shaken by the news. Melissa continues to be a wonderful blessing to so many, even in the midst of this valley. I do not know how people without faith and without Christ endure trials, but I know that He is faithful and our trust is in Him. Praying for a strength for Melissa, for encouragement to the entire family and for a miracle healing for which He will receive all the honor and glory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine, I'm so very glad you are doing this. I'm Melissa's seminary friend. Her graduation was at my house, so maybe you remember meeting me. Please would you give her a huge hug for me, and tell her we love her and are praying for her on this side of the ocean too. Jorum and Evah are also praying - in Belfast, Northern Ireland. With the 7 hour time difference (5 to Belfast), we've got the night time praying covered. When she sleeps, we are awake. :)

    ReplyDelete