Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Blame the Occupiers


I would like to point out that the Occupy Wall Street protestors aren’t even ON Wall Street. I mean before they were evicted. Seriously, I had dinner with a coworker/friend last night who lives on Wall Street. We were walking to her apartment and I asked where the occupiers were.  She replied that they were camped several blocks away.  Apparently the 99% can’t afford a smart phone with GPS—or read street signs.
I’m hoping that if I distract you with stories of protests or maybe Penn State that you won’t notice how long it’s been since I updated on this blog.
Did it work?
No?
Blast.

The good news is that I have lots of updates. Let’s get started shall we?

Melissa had her check up with Dr. Tan last Friday. They did blood work to make sure she is healthy enough to continue with chemo. This all came out fine. (Yay!) They went ahead and ordered the medicine for the next round that will begin this Friday at 9:45 am. She also reported to the doctor that she no longer has to drain her abdomen (see the first post on this blog.) He was very encouraged by this news, as am I. The cancer causes the fluid in her abdomen. The fact that fluid is no longer being produced could mean that cancer has responded well to the first chemo treatment. We won’t really know just how well it’s responded until she has another PET scan, but I am cautiously optimistic. She is also not experiencing as much pain from the tumors, but admits her body is still feeling out of whack.

This is the week in the tri-weekly cycle when MJ (Melissa Jean-- not Michael Jordan or Michael Jackson) is chemo-free. She does not have to take the pills this week, so her energy and appetite are higher than before.  The upside of this is… well her energy and appetite are higher. The trade off is that she has the energy to miss the way life is when she is healthy.  The visits, phone calls, notes, and care packages sent her way definitely help.  They encourage Momma, Daddy, and me as well.  It’s odd to say at this time, but I’ve never felt so lucky or so blessed. I want to thank you all for that.

Finally, there are a few more contestants in the wig competition. I’m rooting for the long one. If she gets it, I just might try to swipe it. 

6 comments:

  1. Looking at Missy with straight hair is like looking at me with straight hair. It's a double-take. I like it but so different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the longer one, too! She looks like you, Christine! Prayers lifted your way....thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely the long one! i'm thinking.. "hot!!" If that's inappropriate, Christine, you'll have to go to bat for me.. (!) -Chewie

    ReplyDelete
  4. so thankful for the post. I am hoping that with all the messages and care packages, that Melissa knows just how LOVED she is!!!! From one curly headed friend to another... LOVE the straight hair options! I think I am for the longer one but which ever one gives her a little PaZazz:) Both are fabulous:) Love and many many prayers from Boston!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No to the short one... it makes you look like your 50+... don't age yourself yet Melissa!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Casting my vote for the long one too! Always loved the curls but straight hair is a nice change! Praying & Loving, Ita

    ReplyDelete